Early Voting Dates, Locations Secured
As of May 6, two early voting stations were authorized by the Polk Co. Auditor’s Office. Voters in any Johnston Community School District precinct can now vote at either of these locations for the June 25 special election bond referendum:
- Friday, June 7 at Horizon Elementary (5905 NW 100th St.) from 11-5 p.m.
- Friday, June 14 at the Johnston Public Library (6700 Merle Hay Rd) from 11-5 p.m.
Early voting offers busy parents and patrons the opportunity to cast an official ballot at a time and location that may be more convenient than traditional precinct locations and the June 25 election date.
Voters can also fill out and mail in an absentee ballot request (found here) to receive their ballot in the mail. It is then filled out and sent back in to the Polk County Auditor’s Office no later than 5:00 PM on Monday, June 24, 2013. View a sample ballot.
School district patrons wishing to vote on June 25 can do so from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. at their designated polling location. Click here to view a list of polling places by precinct.
The special election bond referendum on June 25, 2013 is for the sale of $41 million in general obligation bonds that would be used to fund four construction projects in the Johnston Community School District. Those projects are:
- Construction of a new 10-12 high school
- Minor renovation to Johnston High School to become the new Johnston Middle School, housing grades eight and nine
- Renovation to Johnston Middle School to become the new Wallace Elementary and a district-wide preschool
- Renovation to Wallace Elementary to house district administration and programming
To learn more about the upcoming bond referendum, visit www.johnston.k12.ia.us/Bond2013. Three public meetings will be held leading up to the June 25 election date. Attend to hear a comprehensive presentation on the projects and the district-wide needs they fulfill. Meeting dates are:
- May 15 @ Johnston Middle School; 6:30 p.m.
- May 30 @ the Johnston Public Library; 6 p.m.
- June 11 @ Summit Middle School; 6 p.m.
Questions can be directed to the district office, 515-278-0470 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.