The Johnston Schools Board of Education set a date of September 11 to hold a special election to issue general obligation bonds not to exceed $51 million. A petition with 1021 signatures was presented at the June 25 board meeting. 525 signatures were required.
The facility plan has a total cost of $122.3 million, which would be funded through the $51 million in general obligation bonds for the high school with additional funding from sales tax and PPEL funds.
• New high school built on land currently owned by the district (north of 62nd Ave and west of 100th St)
• Renovation to existing high school to house 8th and 9th grade students
• Renovation of the existing middle school on 62nd Ave. to house elementary students by moving Wallace Elementary to that building, along with district preschool.
• Outdoor athletic and fiber optics improvements
• Renovation of the existing Wallace Elementary to meet district needs.
A series of public meetings will be led by Superintendent Clay Guthmiller and district facility representatives. These meetings are open to the public and anyone with questions is encouraged to attend. Meetings will be held:
• Thursday, Aug. 9 @ 7 p.m., Johnston Middle School Auditorium
• Monday, Aug. 20 @ 7 p.m., Johnston Middle School Auditorium
• Wednesday, Aug. 29 @ 7 p.m., Johnston Middle School Auditorium
• Thursday, Sept. 6 @ 7 p.m., Johnston Middle School Auditorium
Get the facts – click on “Bond materials and additional information” on the left-hand side of the page for handouts, the public presentation, and a property tax table for residential, commercial, and agriculture tax increases.
Click on “Voter Information” to find your polling place or request an absentee ballot.
Please contact the District office at 515-278-0470 if you have questions.