1852 Brothers, Moses and John Lawson arrived and donated land for a school (Valley School which was located one mile east of current Lawson Elementary). The current Lawson Elementary was named after John Lawson.
1914 Four rural schoolhouses consolidated to form a new district called “The Independent Consolidated School District of Webster and Jefferson Townships of Polk County Iowa”. The four schools that joined together where Valley Grade School (located one mile east of present Lawson Elementary); Friars Grade School (located one quarter mile west of the present high school); Ridgedale Grade School (located across from Hyperion); and Rider School (located in the far southwestern corner of the present school district).
1915 A new K-9 building was built on land donated by Ben McKee family (where the fire station now sits)
1917 Siebert Grade School (located in west Johnston) was added to the school district and the district name was changed to “The Consolidated Independent District of Johnston, Iowa”
1919 School became a K-12 building.
1920 First high school graduation held and school certified as an accredited high school
1932 The first school student council was organized and the school colors were changed from blue and white to yellow and blue and later to purple and gold (1936?).
1943 Mr. Hobart A. Ross donated land and a home to care for boys with nowhere else to go. It was called the Y.M.C.A. Boys Home of Iowa. The name changed to Youth Homes of Mid-America in 1987. JCSD currently has an education facility that is used on campus for education of students that must remain on campus.
1946 A contest was held to adopt a school name/mascot. The football team of 1946 was the first “Dragon” team. The name was suggested by Adriana Ansley, then a junior and member of the 1947 class. Adriana graduated from North High School, but a dragon sculpture sits in the trophy case in honor of her.
1950 Due to growth and lack of space, some students attended classes at the barracks at Camp Dodge until 1968
1958 An elementary school was built and called Johnston Elementary. It was the north wing of the current Lawson Elementary prior to the south wing being added in 1968 and remodeled in 1997.
1962 The school district was expanded with acquisition of the Herrold District and name changed to “The Johnston Community Schools”
1968 South wing added to Lawson Elementary
1968 School district purchased building at corner of 62nd and 59th Court. It was a warehouse and administrative offices. This building was torn down in 2000
1974 High School built at current location with additional rooms added over next five years with additional space added in 1994 and additional space added in 2008
1985 Middle School built at current location and remodeled in 1991
1985 Old schoolhouse (that was located where fire station is now) was demolished
1988 Wallace Elementary was built at current location with an addition in 1991
1990 School district offices move to building west of Wallace Elementary
1997 Beaver Creek Elementary built and opens doors
2000 District purchases Pioneer building to become Johnston Administrative Resource Center, housing district-wide staff and departments
2001 Horizon Elementary built and opens doors
2004 Summit Middle School built and opens doors. This facility includes the first indoor pool for the district.
2006 Tennis facility (restrooms/storage/concessions) built by the tennis courts.
2007 Artificial turf added to the stadium.
2007 Timber Ridge Elementary built and opens doors. Johnston Middle School had renovation work done that moved the library and cafeteria to where the other used to be. JMS school administrative wing was added at the southeast main entrance that used to be open walkway.
2008 High School renovation completed that added 16 classrooms, vocal music room, physical education/wellness wing, AD offices, and expanded the cafeteria
2012 Lawson addition completed adding 8 new classrooms and renovated cafeteria/kitchen.
2012 Summit second floor addition to the east wing completed that added eight additional classrooms.